Beyond the Selfie: Filmmaking Skills for the Smartphone Era
Duration: 1 day
Capacity: Max.16 participants
Fee: £125 10% Early Bird discount available until 10th Dec 2017.
As the filmmaking landscape continues to evolve, so does the technology used to capture it. With demand for video sky-rocketing, producing content easily and affordably using just your phone, is quickly becoming the next ‘hot’ digital skill. With the success of films like Tangerine and Détour, more filmmakers are turning to their smartphones to tell their stories.
New for 2017 this 1-day workshop, created and designed by Play by Play, will give you the digital confidence required for the video era. Whether you want to enhance your ‘digital CV’, supplement your film’s marketing strategy, make promotional content, or even shoot your own film, this workshop will give you the tools you need to capture and create compelling content no matter how small your budget.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- You’ll shoot and edit your own one-minute film, using just your phone or tablet
- You’ll learn the fundamentals of storytelling with discussions on current & popular video trends
- You’ll get tips and tricks on how to get the most from your phone camera
- You’ll learn about the planning process and how to turn your clips into a video ready to share
- You’ll learn how video can enhance your digital engagement, marketing & social media strategies
Note: You’ll require a phone or tablet with memory free to record video. You’ll need access to your app store to download the free editing software. That’s it. This is a practical and interactive workshop, so you’ll be making a video of your experience.
Part 1: THE GAME
- The Message vs. The Medium: An overview of the reasons behind the ever-growing demand for content, why messaging is still the core component regardless of format and how human behaviour is evolving as a result.
- Undivided Attention: The importance of creating episodic content – sharing your story on an ongoing basis in short instalments.
- Nobody Owes You Anything: Nobody wants to be that person who spends hours making content only for it to get 5 views. We look at the strategy to ensure your content is noticed.
- Deploying Patience: Nothing is going to happen overnight. Building an engaged community will take time and work but if you put in the effort, you will see results.
Activity: Predicting the Future
Part 2: DEMYSTIFYING VIDEO
- Using Your Phone Camera: Are you sure you know how to use your phone camera and all its functions? A quick check to make sure the answer is definitely yes!
- Accessories & Apps: An overview of some of the more popular apps and equipment being used to make creating content that little bit easier.
- Pro Video: The Secrets: Top five tips and tricks used by social content creators to give their videos that extra production value look and feel.
- Video Topics: Connecting episodes of content into series makes it easier to share a continuing narrative or thread. We look at the what these topics and trends are and why they work so well.
Activity: Series Planning
Part 3: YOUR STORY MATTERS
- In Search of Perfection: A discussion on the importance of perceived quality in your videos. We explore the boundaries of the phrase ‘better done than perfect’.
- Educate. Inspire. Entertain: Video with the most engagement tends to either educate or inspire. We look at what works best where, why and how to ensure you are adding that crucial component: entertainment.
- What's Your Five Percent?: A sure-fire way on how to stand out from the crowd in a noisy and fast-paced environment.
- Components of a Compelling Story: A crash course in the fundamentals of successful storytelling.
Activity: Episode Planning
Part 4: UNLEASH YOUR INNER CREATIVE
- Episode Planning: We share our methodology for planning episodes of content from creative to shot-list.
- Recording Tips & Tricks: Sharing the tips and tricks to ensure the maximum useable footage is captured as efficiently as possible!
- Five Pro Tips: A walk-through of the work-flow of a daily content creator from planning through to shooting. Learn the top hacks used so you can swipe and deploy their strategies in your videos.
- Video Editing 101: We get down to the nitty gritty of editing ensuring you leave with all the skills and knowledge you need to understand all the functionality and options available. You'll be amazed at how easy it is.
Activity: Make My Own Video
The workshop will end with 'Movie Time' - a show and tell of the videos made during the session. It's likely you'll be filming yourself, so you should be comfortable with this!