London Film School and the European Union

One of London Film School’s greatest strengths is the diversity of our international community of students, staff and filmmakers.

While the result of the 2016 British referendum to leave the European Union has caused uncertainty and raised many concerns for us all, LFS remains committed to supporting our EU students and sustaining an international approach and global perspective.

With the changing political climate around the UK’s relationship within the European Union, London Film School wishes to assure current and potential students of its commitment to delivering high-quality film education. 

With many students and staff from outside the UK who enrich everyone’s educational experience, LFS remain an advocate of delivering education with a global outlook. Our aim is to continue admitting students from outside of the UK in full compliance with any revised UK Home Office regulations.

Gisli Snaer: “We are honoured and incredibly proud to have such a culturally diverse and vibrant community of students and staff at LFS. We will continue to look towards future generations of international students for their invaluable contributions to our filmmaking community.”


How will Brexit affect current students? 

The immigration status of all current EU students, along with fee status and access to student loans, has not changed as a result of the decision to leave the EU. This will remain the case until the UK Government decides otherwise.

Can EU students still access student loans?

EU nationals starting courses in England in the 2019/20 and 2020/21 academic years will remain eligible for financial support from Student Finance England for the duration of their course, as long as they meet the existing residency requirement.

Will I need Comprehensive Sickness Insurance?

The Home Office has confirmed that students who are temporarily in the UK and do not currently hold CSI will be able to continue to study in the UK. Students will need to have CSI in order to have a right of residence as a student. This has not changed as a result of Brexit. The European health insurance card (EHIC) obtained from a country of residence is acceptable evidence of CSI. If your stay is to be permanent, or you are unable to get an EHIC from your country of residence, you will need to obtain separate insurance. The website also has information (see pages 21 onwards).

How will Brexit affect applicants for study in 2020/21?

If you are an EU citizen and you arrive in the UK after the Brexit date and 31 December 2020, and you intend to stay in the UK longer than three months, you will be able to apply to live and study in the UK.  For stays longer than 3 months, European Temporary Leave to Remain will be required, if you have not previously been resident in the UK. Once you have been here for five years, you will be able to apply for settled status. However, you will need to register through a new Home Office registration scheme. Further detail is available here. To apply now, please visit the website.

How will Brexit affect student loans for EU students?

The Government has confirmed that students from other EU countries who are currently at UK universities may receive student loan support for the duration of their programme. The Government has also announced that EU students applying for a place at English universities will continue to be eligible for financial support for the duration of their programme. For more information, visit the website. We expect that students from outside of the UK who are admitted from January 2020 onwards will be permitted to complete their studies regardless of any change in legislation arising from the UK’s planned exit from the EU.  The latest advice from the Student Loans Company (SLC) in England in relation to EU student funding can be found here.


Further information


For further guidance please contact:


Page updated 13/09/2019