How to Set Up and Run a Production Company
Duration: 1 day
Capacity: Max. 12 participants
Fee: £150 10% Early Bird discount available until 29th March.
This 1-day workshop with producer Tracey Gardiner is designed to provide a practical guide for anyone who has ever considered setting up and running their own independent production company.
Whether it be for feature films, factual television and drama or feature documentaries, participants should be prepared to talk about why they want to set up on their own and what their goal or strategy is.
The day will start with why it is important to know the industry you plan to launch into followed by the role of the founder or producer. Are you suited to that? There will be a step-by-step guide to the legal process of setting up a limited liability company as well as the ongoing costs and responsibilities. The afternoon will be an opportunity to talk about your business strategy and get feedback from the group. Followed by a session on business plans which are necessary to attract external sources of finance.
This day’s course will provide would be production company owners with the essential skills to set up on their own.
- To see your proposition in an industry context.
- Establish your role in the company – what skills are needed?
- To learn the practicalities of setting up a company and running it.
- To clarify your strategy.
- To learn the fundamental elements of a business plan.
The day will cover the following:
- Industry context – where does your offering sit, how competitive is that sector?
- Your role in the company – are you a manager or creator? Who do you need to help you?
- Setting up the company – legal and accounting – what you need to do and the costs involved.
- Running the company – year to year costs, employer responsibilities, finance and forecasts.
- Your business strategy – get feedback on your plan and analyse your strengths and weakness.
- Business plans and external finance – what a business plan consists of and why it’s necessary for external finance.