Adapting the Novel for Film & TV
Duration: 1 day
Capacity: Approx. 16 participants
Fee: £125 10% Early Bird discount available until Dec 9th 2018.
In this newly developed one-course, producer Lucy Armitage explores how the best TV & film adaptations stay true to the essence of their original text, whilst adding new ingredients to create maximum impact for a whole new audience.
Across a crammed day, we'll delve into a wide range of on-screen adaptations, with examples of the good and the not-so-good. We'll identify techniques to hone in on the core ingredients of a novel, finding the confidence to create new settings, add new ingredients and remove secondary characters/locations. We'll also investigate short story as the ideal launch pad for an adaptation.
- Explore what makes for a perfect novel when it comes to adaption.
- Learn how to win the author's blessing and support when adapting their work.
- Discuss techniques to ensure that the novel's core characters and characteristics are at the heart of every scene and remain the driving force behind the narrative.
- Gain the confidence to make revisions and edits to characters and themes, or to suggest something entirely new.
- Learn how to stress-test your adaptation - ensuring it will satisfy your audience and still remain faithful to your author's intentions.
- Compare and contrast storytelling and plotting techniques used in successful (and not so successful) adaptations.