A Practical Introduction to Location Sound: Recording & Mixing
Duration: 2 days
Capacity: Max. 12 participants
Fee: £350 Fee includes all equipment hire. 10% Early Bird discount available until 30th September. Or book both Joel Cahen sound courses and receive a 20% discount on each.
Aimed at those who feel they would benefit from a theoretical and practical grounding in location sound techniques, participants will be taught how to achieve the most professional results using the equipment most widely-used in the industry today.
The workshop will cover the following areas:
- What is sound? How does it behave in interior vs. exterior environments?
- Understanding the recording chain for sound recording on HDV and film: Equipment; Calibration.
- Types of microphones: For different genres; Radio Mics; Directional Mics; Stereo recording. Participants will handle the Schoeps MK5, Senneheiser 416, and the Radio Mic 2020.
- Planning sound recording in a shoot: Considering locations; Equipment (including the Nagra Hardisk recorder); Sound kit.
- Sound Recording: Recording techniques; Boom operating; Recording to camera; Noise; Protocol.
- Practical recording and listening exercises: Indoors; Outdoors; Troubleshooting.