Student Route visa to replace Tier 4 visa

If you are a non-EU/EEA/Swiss national, and you will come to the UK to study a full-time programme for more than six months, or extending your stay to complete your studies, you will need to apply for a Student route visa. You will also need to apply for a Student route visa if you wish to do a work placement as part of your studies, or look for a part-time job.

Student route will replace Tier 4 in the new UK's Points-Based Immigration System. Introduced in October 2020, it will also apply to EU students from 1 January 2021.

New Student Route

On 05 October at 09.00 am, the Tier 4 route will close and will be replaced by the Student route.  If you have already applied under the Tier 4 route you do not need to take any action. The two routes are very similar and we will update our website to reflect the changes once the UK government has published their guidance on the Student route. 

More can be read on our Immigration page here.